Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"They Actually Eat That:" Basil Soda.

Soft drinks are an underrated part of culture. Although the world is quickly becoming homogenized by Coke and Pepsi, there is always a niche market for indigenous soft drinks. It may sound totally silly at first, but you are what you drink just like you are what you eat.

 

Enter the basil drink made by DeDe. It's not carbonated soda insofar as I can tell, but it's still liquid tooth rot that isn't juice or coffee, so I hope nobody minds my use of the term. Besides being outright strange to look at, if my Japanese teacher is telling me correctly, this also falls under the "things found on Devon Avenue" category. She was the one who got me the bottle above; praise her. There is also a Central American market of some sort that I need to check out, but I digress.

Those little dots in the soda are not strange, alien spawn; they are basil seeds.The seeds swell in the water, making them look like eggs. They have a texture reportedly like the tapioca or eating watermelon (those strike me as different textures, but whatever). Hopefully, I will be able to find out for myself!

Most of us would not consider putting basil seeds in a soda. Drinks with basil seeds are, however, a common part of Thai cuisine, so it's no shock to find them in a Thai soda. Check out your nearest Asian or Middle Eastern grocery store for this exotic soda; my teacher says it's surprisingly good. Most online reviewers seem to agree. Chances are I'll hunt this one down and see what it's like. 

 

There are a number of exotic sodas on the market. If you guys know of any more, please don't hesitate to comment. I don't mind tooth rot if it's for science!

2 comments:

  1. I spent several years in Austria as a child and LOVED the Austrian soda called "Almdudler." It's slightly bitter, but still sweet enough for a kid to like. It also makes a great mixer for the alcoholic crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look into it for this Wednesday, although the omnipresence of bacon is also worthy. :) Thanks!

      Delete